Registration for temporary protection – Ukrainian citizens and third country nationals coming from Ukraine
Who can apply for temporary protection?
- Ukrainian citizens residing in Ukraine before February 24, 2022 and members of their families;
- Nationals of other third countries (other than Ukraine) and stateless people who have used their right to international protection or another equivalent type of national protection in Ukraine before 24 February 2022, and members of their families;
- Persons with foreign citizenship or statelessness who left the territory of Ukraine as a result of hostilities and entered and remained on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria, if they explicitly state that they want to enjoy the status of temporary protection until March 31, 2022.
How long does the process take?
- The procedure takes 5 to 15 minutes and temporary protection is provided immediately
- Temporary protection is granted upon oral request to the Border Police, the State Agency for Refugees or other bodies of the Ministry of Interior (migration, police), to people who meet the conditions above.
What rights does temporary protection give me?
- Right to stay on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Right to written information in plain language about the rules and conditions of temporary protection;
- If you are granted temporary protection, you receive:
– Right to registration card of a foreigner who has been granted temporary protection – for the term of protection;
– Right to reunite with one’s family;
– Right to work and professional training;
– The right to education for students and the right to access kindergarten for children under 6 years of age;
– The right to appropriate accommodation or means of accommodation if necessary;
– Right to assistance for accommodation and meals in accommodation places registered in the National Tourist Register, in the total amount of BGN 40 without VAT per person per night and food / breakfast, lunch and dinner /, incl. tourist tax, which is paid to the service provider. The aid will be provided for a period of up to 3 months. The same rights will have the persons who have expressed a desire to access the labor market in the country and this assistance will be provided for up to 1 month from the date of application. The period of validity of the program is expected to be from 24.02.2022 to 31.05.2022.
- Right to social assistance;
- Right to medical care in emergencies
– People from vulnerable groups – children under 18, unaccompanied children, pregnant women, single parents with minors, the elderly and people with disabilities, serious health problems, mental disorders victims of trafficking or suffering torture, rape or other severe forms of violence – have the right to full medical care as Bulgarian citizens.
Where can I issue a document for temporary protection?
On the map below, you will be able to see all of the active places in Bulgaria where, you can apply and get a document for temporary protection, and find the closes one to you. The map is updated constantly with new places.
Map of Registration Offices for Temporary Protection
Since 15th of March 2022 the Bulgarian government started to roll-out a new system for registration for temporary protection of people displaced from Ukraine. New locations will be made available every day, along with the ongoing training of additional staff and deployment of new equipment. The prioritization of the roll-out is based on the number of displaced people from Ukraine currently accommodated in different places across the country, as well as on the statistics for the “hot spots” at border-crossing points and railway stations. The map below will be updated on a daily basis to reflect the roll-out of all new registration offices for temporary protection.
The registration offices are featured in the BCRM Mapping System.